Making Jam. Sound hard? Maybe, but there are some super simple ways to do it.
This is how I made freezer jam with all the delicious local strawberries that we get in Florida in January (And anyone who complains about the heat in the summer should recall this).
1. Take 2 pints of strawberries, washem, hullem, smooshem (I used a potato masher).
2. Stir in 4 cups sugar and let sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat in a small saucepan 1 box of pectin and 3/4 cup water (or I used half water and half grapefruit juice). Boil 1 minute.
4. Stir this into the fruit/sugar mixture, constantly for about 3 minutes. The sugar should be completely dissolved.
5. Pour into washed, airtight containers, mason jars are good. I used two quart sized jars with plenty of extra room. Make sure there is at least a bit of extra room to allow for expansion when the jam freezes.
6. Let stand at room temp for 24 hours.
7. Freeze up to 1 year, thaw in the fridge, its good for 3 weeks in the fridge.
This jam is seriously sweet. Next time I’ll try something else, but darn does it make an ultra-tasty pbj.